Monday, August 1, 2011

Thursday

I woke up Thursday morning to a text message from Jon asking for sunglasses, the ones that will go over his glasses! Then about 10 minutes later another text asking for pillows. He seemed very anxious to come home :)

I got myself ready and headed out the door, 3 pillows in hand and an empty bag to bring home all of his belongings. Headed to CVS to get his cool shades then I was off to bring him home! Every time I have driven down there traffic hasn't been terrible. Of course the day he gets to come home there is an accident on 495. I finally made it to NIH, and to his room. His nurses were in his room explaining his medication to him, and giving him all the info we needed to get him his meds from the pharmacy so we could be on our way. I headed to the pharmacy to retrieve everything he needed (5 different types of medication). I finally returned to his room about a half hour later to a not so happy Jon Bruce. He wasn't feeling very well, the nurses seemed to think it was all the medication mixed with not eating much. he decided to take it easy for a little while before we tried to tackle the ride home. Around 1:00 he started moving and said he was going to the bathroom then he needed me to put his shoes on! I continued to gather all his things and help him with whatever he needed. He sat down and was ready to put his "chucks" on, I put them on and he was ready to start walking towards the door. I wheeled him down the hall as all the nurses were yelling good bye :)

We made to the car and got Jon all settled in with the pillows that he requested. He leaned on one, as well as held on on his stomach to help with the bumps. I never realized how many large bumps you hit from NIH to Eldersburg! He did great, stayed awake looked out the window in his stylish new glasses, haha! He was pretty cute in them :) 

We pulled up to the house and he practically ran to the door! He went straight to the couch and tried to get as comfortable as he could. I handed him the remote then continued to unload the car. I brought everything in and was beginning to unpack everything and Jon looked at me and asked me if I gave Fisher (our cat) away! Oops! I forgot to let him out! I climbed everest and let him out. He came running down the stairs and ran right past Jon to go to the pantry where his treats were ;) 

Since it was time for another pain med I wanted to get him to eat first, I asked him what he wanted and he said Arby's! He ate more than half of a medium beef and cheddar sandwich. After he ate that he watched TV and rested. 

It was almost dinner time so I asked him if he was hungry and he said a little...again I asked what he was thinking sounded good. He responded with ice cream! Then it went to milkshakes...and finally he wanted a root beer float. After "dinner" he decided he was going to attempt "everest" he went all the way up and all the way down. He said it felt weird because he hadn't done steps, but it didn't seem to hurt him. He made his way back downstairs and we caught up on our shows that we had recorded on out DVR. 

Jon slept on the couch because he was afraid our bed would be too hard, he said he slept ok, but woke up a lot. Hopefully everyday will get a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment